Dear Friends and Followers,
2018 was such an insane year for me personally and for our family, our business, and our lives. I wanted to take the time to look back and go over just some of what took place.
- We added a fourth child to the mix! Now I have two strong sons and two beautiful daughters. The bride and I must be out of our ever lovin’. My wife, as always, remained the quintessential image of gorgeousness and grace through it all. We named number four after my two grandfathers. He is such a blessing.
- We released my first book, Dog Myths: What you Believe about dogs can come back to Bite You! Dog Myths, made the Hot list for six weeks consecutive due to the amount of online sales! This book contains our award-winning philosophy and my personal tips at the end of each chapter. Basically, Dog Myths, will blow your mind as to what dog’s truly mean when they make a specific movement or touch you a certain way. The majority of dog training professionals and vets misinterpret dog language or simply fail to delve deep enough thus most dog owners remain fooled by canine manipulation – Dog Myths is a remedy for that! Readers experience a much deeper revelation of dog communication than what has previously been offered on the subject. With each page enjoyed the preventing or reversing of problematic pet behavior becomes easy. Dog Myths has the potential to revolutionize the ancient and often misguided dog training industry so long as you all keep spreading the word and gifting or donating it to others!
- We lost Bosley. Bosley the boxer was our first dog and a huge helper for me in all my canine behavioral work. I learned so much from him, through him, and with him. We did Schutzhund together. He also used to carry in groceries for us, throw away trash when I’d said to “trash it,” and help me carry around and hand out business cards and flyers many moons ago when I was just starting out. Old Bosley helped thousands of dogs with their dog reactivity and aggression. We are so fortunate and thankful he was strong and stoic and went naturally and quickly in the end. He will always have a special place in our hearts.
- We had three successful meetings with an executive TV producer that is interested in moving forward to do a show about our specific training due to it’s uniqueness and the great results we bring to dogs and people. (This guy helped put together shows like Ice Road Truckers, The Last Alaskans, and several others. Their most recent hit show was a summer series on Animal Planet working with a company called The Dodo – check it out if you have a chance. He is legit and we are excited to see what the future holds.) If we end up getting a TV show this could really help loads more dogs and their families. He said he would start by pitching the idea to Animal Planet, Nat Geo, and Netflix.
- We got another dog. Cato the cane corso/pitbull has been a spectacular addition to our home and our behavioral rehabbing team. His dog language is spot on. He is a two year old, jet black, musclebound, sweet heart. He has been great with every guest and client and dog we intro him with and has still been able to intelligently guard our home and hearth whenever a strange new person happens to pop up on the property. I look forward to continuing to build a great relationship and many memories with him. (In fact I plan on using him for a new series on this blog about shelter/rescue dogs and their handling and training. Cato was rescued out of Texas)
- We sold our home, Stepping Stone, which was hard to part with because we loved that well established property, our home, pool, sport court, and all the great trees and other features.
- We started another business and bought a new home and property on five cozy acres with a 4000 square foot dog kennel and training building beside the home! STEVENS FAMILY KENNELS & Dog Language Center is now open for business! Formerly named Hearthside Kennels, the building came fully equipped and ready to rock. Two of the acres are wooded and we’ve seen several bucks, some bald eagles, and an occasional coyote on the property. We have already had several intelligent and enterprising pet owners take advantage of our unique board and train options! Our board and train, by the way, is the creme de la creme. Unlike most places it has little to do with dog “obedience.” You may want to look into it! (We also offer standard boarding and kenneling) We also offer our Strong Dog Program wherein dogs that board with us can gain plenty of beneficial exercise on our brand new dog treadmills. (The Stevens family kennels website should be up very soon)
- We released my second book, So Long Separation Anxiety! Yes, you read that right, folks. We released two books in one year! This is a little book but a dynamo to be sure. I like to say it’s 95% hands-on and super practical for any reader. Great for anxious dogs, dogs struggling with crate or kenneling issues, destructive chewing, attention hounds, or almost any and all rescue dogs! If you have a puppy read So Long Separation Anxiety in order to prevent it. We set the price on this book incredibly low as a thank you to our Dog Myths readers. Please take a moment and and check out the incredible Reviews both books have received on Amazon!
- We started another business! I hesitate to reveal the details to you yet but rest assured you’ll hear of it when the timing is proper.
Well I think that’s quite enough of that, eh? If we can accomplish even half of the sort of creativity and productivity in 2019 that we did in 2018 then I’ll die a happy man. Who am I kidding? I relish this sort of accomplishment and achievement and personally believe that if one desires more energy in life then one must work hard at their purpose and trek steadily after the vision and, in this way, one will always find renewed energy in plentiful supplies. You, Dear Readers, have my promise to try and crush 2018 with even more outrageous and fantastic plans and productivity in 2019. Stay tuned! And a big thank you to all our readers and those who share this info by word, or by mouth, computer or phone…Thanks again and please keep telling your friends, fam, and the pet professionals in your areas about us and the differences calmness makes.
Here’s to fomenting the spirit of innovation and hard work in 2019! Let’s help some dogs and people.